Direct Autocrine Action of Insulin on β-Cells: Does It Make Physiological Sense?
- 1Kovler Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- 2Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Boston Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 3Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Colchester, Vermont
- 4Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, VA Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- Corresponding author: Christopher J. Rhodes, .
Jump to section
- Elements of insulin signaling pathways in β-cells are important
- What concentrations of insulin are islet β-cells exposed to in vivo?
- Influence of the central nervous system on β-cell function in vivo
- Central issues with “β-cell–specific” transgenic knockout models
- Does insulin affect insulin gene expression in vivo?
- Does insulin affect insulin production?
- Does insulin affect insulin secretion?
- Final thoughts and conclusions
- Figures & Data
- Info & Metrics